March 5th, 2009


Not Like California

Yesterday I took the day off work and did three things. The first was to waste 90 minutes of my life talking to two “experts” from Apple about the fact that I can’t get the new iMac to see our network printer. I reached the conclusions that a) Apple is going way downhill, b) 10.5 does not play well with older printers at all, and c) I am probably doomed in the printing department unless we buy a new printer, which seems like foolishness given that the two 8 year old ones we have both work perfectly well, it’s the iMac that’s the issue. The second thing I did was to walk to the local salon and get them to chop four inches off my hair, because it turns out that letting the baby play with your hair isn’t so good for the ends. The stylist was appalled at all the short bits visible at the part until I explained that it wasn’t breakage, it was where my hair was growing back in after the expected great hair loss at four months post-partum. The third thing was the big thing: Warren, Margaret and I went to the fertility clinic to talk to our doctor about getting a sibling for Margaret.

The decision to take Margaret along was given a lot of thought. On the one hand, everyone at the clinic worked hard to achieve Margaret’s conception and deserved to see the happy result. On the other hand, some infertile women have issues seeing babies, especially at the clinic. In the end we checked with the clinic, and they checked the schedule and gave us the thumbs up. We also took reasonable steps like sitting on the OB/GYN side of the half wall in the waiting room rather than on the fertility clinic side. It seemed to go pretty smoothly, and I think at most one couple glanced Margaret as we were leaving. The staff gave every evidence of being overjoyed to see Margaret. Our doctor looked like she was having a bad day and she seemed happy to get to actually meet on of her successes.

The discussion went really well. The plan is to try what worked last time again and hope for the best. Testing will commence as soon as I get my next cycle, which should be next week. I need to do day 3 bloodwork and a hystosonogram. No big deal there; the only hassle will be fitting the second one in, which will probably mean an early morning for Warren one day. Warren also gets to redo his tests, but on the bright side there Somerville can now do it, so I need not drive him out to Kenmore at the crack of dawn one morning. Not my idea of fun, especially since this time around I’d have to drag Margaret to the andrology lab with us. Also on the major plus side, since I have regular periods, our doctor does not think I need to give up breastfeeding just yet. The plan is to look at the day 3 numbers, and if they look good we’ll proceed and I won’t have to wean until I start the drugs. If they don’t look good I’ll wean and try again. Either way, this is a win because it means I won’t be weaning until it is absolutely necessary. Yay.

One of the things I’d been pondering is how many embryos to put back. When I brought this up our doctor said, “Please, no more than three, we don’t want to be like California.” She said it in a hurry, as she was stepping out for a moment to deal with another patient who’d missed her original appointment. Yeah. By California she meant the woman who’s just given birth to a litter. And this was the chilling effect that I was worried about. Three is a reasonable number for us to transfer, but given my quality issues I was thinking that four might not be out of the question. Would it have been out of the question had not some unethical doctor-patient combination conspired to produce the high-profile little in California? There’s no way to tell, but it is certain that I will be transferring at most three embryos on IVF#5. You may be sure that you will not be seeing me with my own reality television series anytime soon. We’re looking at hopefully an April-May cycle.

My perennial enemy Hope is back in full force. Hope says that the protocol worked last time so it will probably work this time too! I know better. Statistics say that I have at the very best a 35% chance of a take-home baby, probably more like 30%. Hope says a May cycle would be a February baby! I say that IF the testing shows that I can cycle again, we are looking at a potential cycle in the April-May timeframe, to be followed as necessary by potential cycles in July-August, October-November, and January-February as necessary, and that’s assuming there are no delays for extra tests or scheduling issues. Hope says maybe it’ll be twins this time! I say that it was twins last time in the beginning, so don’t count your babies until you see a fetal heartbeat, and only with caution then. Hope says there will be another baby. I say we’ll have to wait for the testing and see what the insurance company has to say about it.

In other news, I am not so focused the potential for other babies that I have forgotten about my wonderful and amazing daughter. As the doctor put it to her, “You’ll always be top dog.” I have been terribly remiss is posting about Margaret lately. In case you were wondering, yes, she is crawling and cruising and pulling up to a stand and escaping her high chair restraints and threatening to dive off. She has been doing these things for some time now, which I hope will explain why there has been so little posting going on around here. Her crawling skills are such that putting her in a dress and tights and sitting her on the hard wood floor will not keep her from reaching the shelf under the printer and chewing onreading the printer manual. In retrospect I should have asked her about my printing woes instead of calling the Apple “expert”. Her reply would have been more helpful. In fact, I think she would have said, “Pbbbbbbbt,” which really sums up the situation quite nicely.